Wednesday, June 29, 2011

One month...

We have been here for a month now. Our days are good! I am meeting people and get lost a little less these days. Although just yesterday I found myself in the town of Strathmore, population 4,000. Of course I had left the iPad at home so I didn't have the GPS with me. My only saving grace were the mountains. Our city is located in a valley so the mountains make for great landmarks. Around here they put the letter of the town on the side of the mountain, so I just have to find the big P and then I can find my way home. They must do that for special people like me. I did make it home safely and all the girls had a good nap while I was navigating my way home.

Today is very unusual. Yesterday it was 103 degrees and today it is cloudy and 65 degrees. Very strange weather for the summer here. We woke up to clouds in the sky, which we haven't seen here since we arrived a month ago. The girls are doing well and growing so fast. Both of them can swim without their lifejackets now. Mya treads water and can swim all the way across the pool without our help. Just last night she figured out that she can jump in the water and swim to the side of the pool without her lifejacket. Sara is a fish. She does all of her swimming under water. Even Chloe likes to be dunked under the water. We have had some great family swims in the evening. Because of the cooler weather, Dan and I both were able to go running last night in between making dinner and giving the girls a bath. We just take turns with the chores and with exercising.

Yesterday I had my first play date with a girl that I met through Dan's work. A play date for the kids and for the moms. I was so happy to have adult conversation. It was a wonderful afternoon spent with a very nice family. Tomorrow we have another play date with a mom from the MOPS group in town. She saw me on their Facebook website and invited us over. I am so grateful that the Lord is bringing people into my life here. The mom that I met yesterday has a 15 year old daughter who is very willing to babysit our kids. So I already have her scheduled to watch the girls on Dan's birthday so we can go to dinner. It will be nice to go on a date together.

That is about all that is happening right now in Porterville. Towards the end of July we will start looking at where we will go next for our second contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment