Monday, June 13, 2011

Crossroads

Gal 1:10 "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

This journey we are on has brought me to a crossroads in my spiritual, emotional, and physical life. Each day thar I wake up I am reminded that we are truly in the will of God by being here. I have never felt such a strong sense of following God's will in so many areas of my life. I am being forced to grow in all different ways. Yesterday we took a drive to the Sequoia national park, which took us on a windy road into the mountains. We didn't really know where we were going but the sights were amazing. We came to a fork in the road where we had to decide which road to take. We didn't have a map and it was unknown territory. We decided to take one path first and that led us further up the mountain. Then we backtracked and took the other road and that took us further away from the mountain. The road was wider and less windy. each road was different. I find myself at a major crossroad where I can choose God's path for my life. A dear friend of mine gave me the above verse and it speaks true to what I am learning. I pray that the end result of this journey leads to more servanthood and less pleasing of man. I pray for a transformation in this area. I am excited to see what the road looks like that I am choosing, as I don't know how it looks ahead of me.

We are seeing major changes in our lives and the kids lives as we change our approach to parenting. One area of transformation happening for me is that if I am parenting with biblical language then I am quickly seeing areas of weakness where I fall short as a model to the kids. For example, the other day while at Kohl's, we were picking out cards to send to people. Mya decided to lick the envelope to put the card in before we purchased it. So I used this as a life lesson on honesty. I had her take the card to the register and tell the lady what she did. She had to apologize and it was tough for her. But on the same trip Sara peed on the floor and I didn't tell the store clerk right away. It got cleaned up before I had a chance to tell anyone. So as I was teaching about honesty, Mya quickly reminded me that I was not honest with the store clerk about Sara's accident. Boy was she right! I am finding that my behavior makes quite an impression on the girls and I better make sure I am modeling what I am teaching. This is changing my heart in the process. Before we started reading about how to change our approach, I wouldn't have used the terminology that I am using now. And it is the terminology that is causing me to examine my ability to be a servant for Christ.

Good things happening here in sunny Porterville, California. Real good things!

No comments:

Post a Comment