Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Perspective

Let me first start by sharing about Dan’s job.  On Sunday he figured out all the train stuff and bought his ticket.  The plan was for him to board the train with his bike, arrive in Hayward and bike two miles to his work.  When he went to buy his ticket on Sunday he figured out that bikes are not allowed on the train during high traffic times…which is when he would be boarding in the morning and coming home in the afternoon.  He asked around on Sunday and was given the advice to go ahead with his bike because everyone else does it.  So on Monday he boarded the train with his bike and had no problem with it.  However, the process of riding the train and riding his bike takes over an hour.  That is unfortunate, but doable.  We have decided to have him commute by car maybe three times during the week so I can have the car a few days a week to run errands.  On the off days he can ride the train.  His recruiter was very specific to tell Dan that this new facility was an outpatient clinic.  But when he arrived on Monday he discovered that it is definitely skilled nursing only.  So he is back in the same predicament as Stockton, but knows how to work around the billing issue.  He says it is just something he can tolerate until the contract is done.  I can tell that he is more comfortable with the employees at this one, though.  At the last place they were not quite as friendly. 
We had a very interesting experience last night.  We took the girls to the pool, which is becoming a daily routine.  When we arrived, we noticed that there was a dog right by the hot tub.  I could tell right away that the dog was “working.”  His owner appeared to be blind at first glance.  We all got in the hot tub and I noticed that the girl sitting beside me appeared blind too.  We continued to play with the girls. I had a feeling that the girl was trying to get her bearings on where she was in the tub.  So I moved to the other side of the tub to sit with Dan.  Right away she felt her way around the pool and located the guy with the dog.  She was elated and expressed pure joy at finding him.  She stood up and kissed the dog many times.  And then I watched as they signed in each other’s hands.  Clearly they were deaf and blind.  I was overcome with emotion.  I watched as they communicated and I saw how easily the girl expressed her delight with finding the guy.  I watched as she caressed the dog with such sweetness and gratefulness.  And then I watched as she found her way out of the tub and out of the gate towards her apartment.  My perspective on life quickly changed at that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment