Friday, April 6, 2012

Green Smoothies

We have officially completed our first month of drinking green smoothies everyday. Since I have had time to perfect the recipe that works for our family, I thought I would share what I have learned. I read a few books and websites on green smoothies and then did my own thing in the kitchen. I have had some mess-ups along the way, but am having fewer of those. I make Dan's smoothie every night and store it in a mason jar with a lid. That way when he wakes up in the morning it is ready to go for him and I don't have to get out of bed to make it. The girls and I drink ours for breakfast too. Although it is a bit costly to keep fresh fruits and greens for the smoothies, we have cut cost by not buying cereal anymore. The smoothie filled us up for hours. Dan and I drink 4 cups and the kids drink 2 cups daily. I don't force the kids to drink all their smoothie in the morning, but they know that if they want a snack later then their smoothie must be gone. We haven't had any fights over drinking them...because honestly they are very yummy.

So let's start with the basic recipe and then I will tell you what I add-in/sneak in.

The "Dannyboy" Smoothie
(we have a 6 cup blender)

2 cups water
Fill the rest of the blender with greens (I use approximately 2 cups spinach and fill the rest with kale, red chard, and sometimes romaine)
I blend all of the greens first....only for 3 seconds because you want to keep the nutrients in there
Then I add fruit (1 cup frozen strawberries and 2 bananas...sometimes I add kiwi or apple)
Blend

Daily add ins: 1 Tbsp coconut oil, 1 tsp stevia

Other occasional add ins to change recipe (only small amounts): dates, apricots, flaxseed, agave syrup, yogurt, almond milk, unsweetened cocoa, natural peanut butter, cinnamon, pure maple syrup, vanilla

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! We like to make them here too, except that I haven't made it a part of our daily routine - though now I think I might. We like to add frozen peaches and/or blueberries to ours.

    Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete