Friday, April 27, 2012

Family

I have had some time to talk with family members about Chloe's stubborn streak and am so thankful for all the suggestions and words of wisdom. I have been reminded how important it is to find the balance between being strict on an issue and being too laid back. We are trying to do just that. Although Dan and I talked about Chloe last night and decided to lay off the issue for now and revisit it later. My sister gave me a good example today. She said sometimes when she is playing a game and feels stuck, she walks away for 15 minutes and comes back only to find a very obvious solution. So maybe if we take a break we can come back to it later and it will make sense to her. Other than this issue she has become a compliant, intelligent and independent toddler. She is really neat! I can't wait for family and friends back home to meet her again. Even after we struggled with her on the first day she was full of hugs and kisses when we held her late that night. She loved on us and we loved on her while I rocked her to sleep. Parenting is such a journey, isn't it? As parents we try things and if they don't work we try other things. We learn what we could have...should have done and we learn what works. We extend grace because we love and adore our children. And they extend grace back and love and adore us. It is the most precious thing to be a parent.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Julie. I just looked through some of the precious photos and I just can't believe that little angel is being stubborn! Indeed, her strong will will serve her well. In the interim, you only have to last one second longer than she can. Good luck. I did not force it with my kids, but at 17 and 20, they say it regularly and I know they really appreciate what they are thanking me for. It's really a lovely set of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just keep hearing Jerry telling us to "choose your battles"...

    ReplyDelete