Sunday, July 31, 2011

Laying Things Aside

I had an interesting, eye opening experience last week as I prepared to go on a date with Dan on his birthday. I waited all week and I wanted so bad to have a new shirt to wear so I could look really special for him. Boy did God have something to teach me. Each and every time I hit a sale rack...and by sale I mean a $5-$10 shirt...I would try it on, look in the mirror, admire it, put it back on the rack and walk out the store empty handed. I probably did this about three times that week. I got to the point that I was actually mad that I was so convicted to NOT purchase the shirt. It was just one shirt that I wanted! The night before our date I spent a good hour going to three different stores to find that silly shirt that was going to make me feel so good. Once again I came home empty handed and just sat down beside Dan with tears in my eyes. I couldn't believe that it took me so long to have a revelation like the one I was having. It was just like God was whispering in my ear every time I looked in the mirror in the dressing room, "Julie, I love you with an unconditional love. Your clothes do not make you who you are. This shirt might look cute, but it will not fill you with eternal security. You are not what you wear. You do not need new clothes to be beautiful." I feel the Lord transforming my heart and this was one of his mini lessons that although I didn't like it at the time, I am very grateful for the power of His whispered words. I have good news. We went on our date, I wore an old dress, and Dan still thought I looked good. But above all, my heart was stretched and I came out with a softer heart.

"Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."
1 Peter 2:1

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for you to learn about the clothing thing. You are so beautiful inside (and out) and it has nothing to do with clothes. BTW, Good Will sells shirts for a couple dollars :) New to you. I look forward to your fun stories and so happy you are staying where you are enjoying your time.
    Your name came up yesterday as I was hiding towels - yes, towels - from Zoe. She gets one pool/work towel (lifeguard) and one shower towel a week and she washes it once or maybe twice a week. I packed up the equivalent of 6 tubs of towels and I told Jim that, "Julie would NEVER let me have this many towels. I miss her." :( We will be close - Grand Canyon on Friday and I will give you call to hug across the phone lines. We would love to fit in seeing you, but only have 5 days. Kisses to all. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete