Saturday, February 18, 2012

Still Gotta Have Sweets!

Yes, diet changes are good, but I still like the occasional semi healthy sweet treat. My sister gave me this recipe, I made them right away, and they are awesome!

No Bake Energy Bites

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (we have switched to all natural peanut butter)
1/3 cup honey (we use local honey)
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed (I learned that flaxseed should be refrigerated after opening package)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I buy the dark chocolate..just read the ingredients to get the right kind)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything above in a bowl. Let chill in the refrigerator for half hour. Roll into balls and enjoy! Keep in refrigerator in air tight container.

Yesterday I was scrambling to find something to make for lunch so the girls and I decided to make pizza. I let them choose veggies and they decorated the pizza. We put avocado, zucchini, and fresh tomato on it. It was so good!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm...I will be trying these sooner than later! Question~ Have you found coconut flakes that are unsweetened around here? I have not found any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound yummy, Julie! Just a thought, I buy my flax seed whole then grind it with a small coffee grinder, so it's fresh. Then you can keep it in the cupboard.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so yummy! Here is another that has become very popular in our home...http://www.themarathonmom.com/chocolate-granola-bars.htm. Hope that works! Jenna likes the more uniform chocolate ones (like the pic), but the rest of us like when the oat mixture has cooled and then mixing in the coconut and chips. Good little treat that replaces our love of cookies :)

    ReplyDelete