Thursday, February 16, 2012

Diet Update

We keep plugging away on making diet changes. Funny thing...we thought we were eating healthy before but have learned that we have a long way to go. Our whole family only drinks water all day everyday. When we splurge we get smoothies from the local smoothie shop (this is until I get home to Ashland to my blender). And every once in a while we give the kids juice at Starbucks, but we don't buy it to keep at home. That might sound over the top, but I do believe that now is the time to teach the kids about sugar consumption and how it affects their body. We are very factual with them so we make sure to educate rather than just keep things away from them. We want them to understand how these things can hurt their body if consumed on a regular basis. We certainly don't deprive them of having candy and such on occasion. We are increasing our vegetable consumption, lowering our meat consumption, lowering our dairy consumption, and lowering our sugar. I am starting to replace sugar with stevia in some recipes, like my hot chocolate mix and brownies. We have completely eliminated corn syrup from the diet. When we have sweet treats I try to make them all from scratch so I know exactly what is in them. Our kiddie snacks have changed to nuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, goldfish, homemade granola bars, fruits and veggies. We also find ways to incorporate wheat bran and flaxseed in our diet on a daily basis.

Juicing is my next adventure to help with Dan's diet. I just ordered some new books so I can educate myself on this topic. Once I am confident with it, then we have to start shopping around for a good juicer. I am very excited about these new changes and the benefits on our bodies. I love learning about food and the body....maybe I should pursue being a nutritionist! Well, at least I can be the nutritionist for our family...that is what is most important!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! Keep at it. It all is such a learning process, especially after being raised on specific foods and a certain way of cooking...makes it difficult to change. Your girls will thank you for it when they get older for sure!

    ReplyDelete