Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sincere Confession

Today I was cooking in the kitchen and had the girls playing on the floor by me so I could monitor their play. I observed Sara trying to open the refrigerator to get her water bottle. She was struggling to open it because Mya had her feet up against the door trying to keep her from opening the door. I stopped them both in the midst of this struggle, got down to their level and expressed my concern with Mya's heart. This was clearly a heart issue as Mya was trying to inconvenience her sister and act selfishly. I described the heart issue and had Mya ask Sara for forgiveness. Then I helped Mya pray a prayer to ask God for forgiveness for her sins. At this point she is going through the motions, but the hope is that her heart will follow these actions and in time she will realize how God would want her to respond.

Tonight at church the bible lesson validated the above scenario and stressed to me the importance of sincere confession in my life. We ask for confession from God so we can be cleansed. Our pastor gave us some history on the biblical definition of sincerity that I think is very convicting. He said that in bible times they would make clay pottery and sometimes the item would crack. To fill the cracks they would melt hot wax in them. Then they would sell the item as if it was whole and flawless. But as soon as the buyer put a candle in the clay pot and lit it, the wax in the cracks would melt and the clay pot would fall apart. This can describe our insincere confessions of our sin. We need to go to the Lord by naming our sin, calling it what it is, confessing honestly and seeing our sin from God's perspective. Then we will be cleansed, forgiven and we can have fellowship with God.

It came to light during the pastor's sermon that all sin comes from one main root or source....doubting God's goodness or questioning where God has put us. Wow...that is convicting!

No comments:

Post a Comment