Friday, October 14, 2011

Contentment

We went from having our own house, our own yard, a two car garage, and decorated walls to an apartment complex of over 100 units made up of all sorts of people...in a not so pretty city. I was thinking this morning about this when Mya was talking to me about how much white we have in the apartment. We have no decorationS. At our home in Ohio I painted every room a different color. Dan and I share a car so many days I stay home all day. I should not be happy if you look at the circumstances. I should definitely not be content. We are surrounded by different cultures, languages, and ways of living. I should long to have our things back. But I have learned a huge lesson in contentment...the way the bible tells me how to live. In Ecclesiastes 5:19 we read "If God gives a man wealth and property....he should be grateful and enjoy what he has....it is a gift from God." And so comes one of the biggest lessons I have learned here. Being content! I am happy with my wealth and property that we have right now. Having less has actually taught me to be happy. I went from being a busy "stay at home mom" to one that literally stays home most days of the week. God is teaching me how beneficial it is for the kids to have me home all day. I watch my kids, I study them, and I learn so much more about them from being home. It seems like each negative thing that we have has turned into a great lesson on contentment. I find myself looking at what I do have like a place to live, a vehicle that works well, healthy children, a husband who loves me unconditionally, a husband who works extremely hard to provide for us, a church home in Porterville, friends, money for food, and a faith in God that allows me to see my circumstances as something to be happy about no matter what. I find great pleasure in the small things like lighting a candle so it smells good when Dan gets home or helping the kids memorize a bible verse. Life has changed for us, but I can be just as content in my new surroundings and see all that God has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment