Monday, January 13, 2014

Upwards



I had to use a generic picture for this blog entry because I was a bad mom and forgot the camera last Saturday at the Upwards game.  But I have to write about Mya's experience last week....and mine too. 

Dan's strategy worked.  He told me Saturday morning that Mya would be sitting with me in the audience during the entry period where the kids run in to the loud music and announcer.  He wanted her to see what it looked like.  I guess she was scared to run out because she didn't know all the specifics on where to run, how to run and where to stop running once she got out there.  She is a little bit detail oriented....nothing like me....wink, wink.  So she sat with me and the girls and watched how it all worked.  Then once that part was over she joined her team to start the game.  And she played the whole hour!  She wasn't quite sure what to do for the first half so she just ran up and down the court chasing people instead of the ball.  But during the second half it was like someone flipped a switch.  Dan's mom, dad and grandma came to the game so all of us were yelling super loud to tell her what to do.  I think that helped too....wink, wink again.  Suddenly she was running down the court to get the ball, passing the ball, dribbling the ball and making baskets.  I felt so proud!

To all the moms out there....is there ever a time when you quit tearing up every time your kid does something cool?  Just wondering, because it is going to be a long road ahead of me if I cry at everything those kids do. 

So long story short...Dan wins this time around.  Patience truly was the best strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment