Sunday, November 6, 2011

Highlights of the Month

I feel as though I have neglected the blog lately and its not due to anything negative or uneventful going on. We are settled and each day brings about it's own fun and challenges. Since we aren't traveling much right now I feel like there aren't as many exciting things to report. But I decided to look back on the last month and do some highlights of what has been going on. So.....here they are in no particular order:

*one day I went to the dentist and had Dan drop me off so I could run home and get my exercise done with all at the same time. The tooth cleaning was miserable...very painful. I left happy to be done with it and started running right away. I am not bragging, but my body is pretty used to running distance at a good pace. I have a good routine with getting exercise. I had a good pace going for about a mile and decided to stop at the hospital to go to the bathroom. I did that, came back outside and started running right away at a quick pace. I ran about 100 yards and experienced a major heart palpitation. I could literally see my heart pumping out of my chest. The good news....I was right in front of the ER. But...I made myself sit down, took deep breaths and watched my heart go back to normal. Crazy! Then I ran home a couple more miles. I have been fine since. Family....don't worry! I consulted with nurses and google. It is harmless. Supposedly I had s surge of adrenaline and when I stopped to go potty my body wanted to work at my running pace. What a wild experience!

*along the lines of talking about the dentist, Dan is working on battling a dental bill that we have been given but shouldn't have to pay. We were given all these extra X-rays that we didn't need and our insurance didn't cover. Dan tried working with the desk clerk but didn't get anywhere so now we have to meet with the dentist. I miss my dentist at home! We just wanted our free exam and cleaning....

*Dan took the girls to church on Wednesday night and told me that he agreed to be Joseph in our Christmas musical at church. What??? He wants to be challenged and thinks this is a good experience for him. Very cool! Those of you that know Dan well know how scared he is of public speaking. He is going to grow a beard and play the part. This will be so fun! I will take lots of pictures of this event.

*the other day I had the pleasure of witnessing Dan as a cheerleader and ballerina. I am not joking! I was cooking in the kitchen and next thing I knew I heard Dan making up a cheer for the girls with motions and leg kicks. Wow! What a sight!

*last month, in front of our church, I sang a duet. This was my first public appearance singing since my sister got married. I think the audience could hear my heart beating in the microphone. It was fun, but it stretched me with my confidence level. Thank goodness the lady that I sang with had a beautiful voice. It actually went very smooth and I hit all my notes.

*we recently joined a new Sunday school class with our pastor. He is discussing theology and background on Baptists. It is a more intimate setting where we can ask a lot of questions. We are really enjoying this class.

*I haven't talked in much detail about the friends that we have made here in Porterville. I definitely need to work on getting a better picture of them to post. I put one on for Chloe's birthday post but it didn't show them very well. Their names are Isaac and Jennifer and their daughter is Neva. We met them the first day we attended church at Calvary Baptist and have spent just about every weekend with them since then. Our families...kids and adults...just click very well together. We love spending time with them. Jennifer and I have a lot in common and tend to think very similar....sometimes in a scary way (ha ha). We are so grateful for their hospitality while we are here and will greatly miss them when we leave. We are looking forward to meeting the new addition to their family sometime this month.

*when we met Isaac and Jennifer we found out that they had all 8 seasons of the TV series 24 on DVD. So since July Dan and I have been re-watching all the seasons at night after the kids go to bed. I am proud to say that we just finished all the seasons. So now what? Maybe Dan will actually pick up a book and read it. Probably not!

*we made a new friend these past couple months....a neighbor who we call the "cat lady." She and her husband were here temporarily because he works on airplanes that fight fires. She adopted 4 kittens at the apartment complex and took care of them. The girls would look out the window everyday to see if she was out with the kitties. She was someone that we chatted with during the day. But she moved away a couple days ago. Mya told me today, "Mommy, I miss the cat lady." she will be missed!

*a neighbor gave us their vacuum to keep. So fun! I love sweeping!

*we recently learned how to Skype on the IPad and it is so fun to see people from home. So if anyone wants to do that with us we would love to see you!

*the highlight of my day has become watching Dan do this little routine with the girls when we drop him off at work. He gets out of the car, kisses each child in the back seat, closes the car door and plays "peek a boo" at the car door window. He goes up and down to hide himself and then reappear. They love it! The best part is watching spectators watch Dan do this...not knowing that their are kids in the car. Hilarious!

Well...hope you enjoyed the highlights. We should have more pictures coming as the holidays are approaching. My goal this month is to get the family to the mountains and take a family photo. That will be our Christmas card this year. Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment