Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Nine Years

Today is our anniversary.  We have been married nine years.  The day started with a 5:45 am run (in the dark).  It was a fast run because I don't like running in the dark....I am scared of the dark.  So I run super fast when I go by wooded areas or any spots where someone could jump out at me.  I still remember leaping into my bed at night as a little girl so no one could grab my feet from under the bed.  I guess I have been afraid of the dark for a long time.  Anyway, I got my run done and out of the way.  Dan and I are training for the half marathon in October so I have to stick to my schedule for the next couple months.  I don' like getting up early to run, but I do like that I am up early enough to see Dan before he goes to work.  I was able to see him to the door this morning as we shared an extra long hug...you know how you pause for a moment and take in what you are embracing.  It was nice.  I won't paint the picture of a perfect marriage for nine years.  But I will paint the picture of our commitment to each other.  I was listening to a podcast this morning from John Piper talking about advice he would give to a newly married couple.  He talked about his marriage and how imperfect it is.  But he spoke about how we need to find our security, our comfort, in Christ alone.  If we try to find complete security and love in our spouse then we will fail miserably.  I love that advice!

So nine years ago today, I was waking up eager to "get the show on the road."  I woke up worrying about the flowers and the food and my dress and my bridesmaids.  I got my hair done and had a lovely brunch with family and off we went to the church.  The day I remember clearly because the sky was blue and the temperature was perfect for an August day.  It was in the 70's and beautiful.  All the details fell into place and we made it to the church in good time.  Now this is the part I will never forget.  Dan and I talk about it often.  I was dressed and ready for pictures.  My bridesmaids were dressed and in the sanctuary.  And for some reason I was alone for a brief time.  I walked out of the bathroom and as I came around the corner I saw Dan alone.  He had just gotten a drink from the water fountain.  There in that hallway, we had our first moment together alone.  It was priceless. I remember the look on his face as he saw me in my dress for the first time.  He looked at me like I was a princess.  That is forever ingrained in my mind.  Of all the people in the church that day, God perfectly designed us to meet at that exact moment in an empty hallway.  And the rest is history as they say.  Even though I cried through the wedding and my dress straps wouldn't stay up, I found great joy in the events of the day.  The reception was done in a way that I wouldn't have changed anything.  Was I scared on our wedding day??? Umm....yes!  I was scared to commit my life to another man forever.  But through it all, God has taught me that the wedding day was just one mini snippet of our lives together.  It is the journey that really matters.

Here are the then and now pictures...........we haven't changed a bit.....ha ha ha!





No comments:

Post a Comment