Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First Day of School

Today I started home schooling.  It was amazing!  I am very realistic in knowing that most days will not go so well, but it was encouraging to start the first day so beautifully.  I thought the day was going to be tough because I slept through my alarm and missed my chance to run before Dan left for work.  Which meant that I missed my devotion/quiet time too.  But I pulled off a good attitude for the girls and started the day with a smile for them.  After the girls finished their morning routine (i.e. breakfast, making beds, getting dressed, etc.), I started the day with their memory verse and a bible lesson and a journal entry.  Then I split them up for the morning....one worked with me while the other entertained Chloe....and vice verse. Around 11:30 we did a Wal-Mart trip and returned home to a fun lunch.  We made tortilla wraps, which the girls loved because they put the ingredients on themselves in any order they wanted.  After lunch I put Chloe down for her nap and spent the next two hours working with each child one on one on more subjects.  Their stamina will certainly have to improve, but overall they had good attitudes about schooling at home.  I was amazed at how awesome it was for me to begin the process of observing learning styles and strengths and weaknesses with academics.  We ended the day with Mya making us healthy banana bread (she did it on her own using the blender).  When Dan got home we played outside with the kids and they got into a water fight with the hose.  I just stood back in amazement while watching them laugh and "just plain have fun!"

And the best part of all....Chloe has potty trained herself in two days flat!  Well, maybe not 100% potty trained all the way, but just about there.  She is even staying dry during her nap.  She might be a challenging kid when it comes to energy level and behaviors at this age, but in this area she is a rock star!

While schooling I am reminded of a verse that I memorized last week (I am up to 4 verses in my memory bank now...yeah!).  I know that I will refer to this verse time and time again when I am have tougher days with the girls.  But while I am home with them, I have so many opportunities to share God's word with them.  Just today on the way to Wal-Mart, Mya and Sara figured out what an earthly father and a heavenly father are.  They made that distinction and that was a cool conversation.

Deuteronomy 6:6-7
"These words which I have commanded you this day shall be upon your heart.  Teach them diligently to your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home, when you walk by the way, when you lie down and when you rise."

No comments:

Post a Comment