Monday, August 12, 2013

I Have A Dream

I left for college at Bowling Green State University in the Fall of 1995 and I remember the day very clearly when my mom and dad dropped me off at my dorm room.  I remember saying goodbye.  I remember feeling like I was going to conquer the world.  My dorm room experience didn't work out so well, but luckily I had decided to rush a sorority.  I found the sorority that I liked and met a dear friend, named Julie, who was a senior and a believer.  Her roommate in the sorority house had moved out so I was able to move in as a freshmen.  God sure had his hand in the timing of all of that.  If you know me well you would probably wonder why I was in a sorority.  It doesn't seem to be my thing, but once again, God had some awesome plans laid out for me. He knew I needed the sorority to build my confidence, encourage leadership skills, share my faith and introduce me to life long friends.  While living in the sorority house I experienced some tough feelings that challenged me as a person.  I had left a small church community and was quite sheltered.  My eyes were opened while living on campus.  I was trying to find my way as an individual and as a girl with a faith.  How did that all fit together in my new world?  I felt isolated at times because I felt like I was different.  I was insecure and was trying to figure all that out while living away from home. And thankfully, I met some of the most amazing women while living in the sorority house.  They lived life with me and taught me the value of "true friends." And today they are my forever friends.

Back in January we received an email from one of those dear college friends (my roommate for many years) and this is what it said...."I have a dream.  I have a dream to one day have all my college friends together for a weekend away."  Then she proceeded to share her plans on how we would do that.  She had the cabin chosen and the month that it might take place.  So we all emailed back and forth for a while and finally chose a weekend in August.  Well, the dream was just fulfilled this weekend.  And it was amazing.  After almost thirteen years of not seeing each other, we reunited.  Let me just say, as I begin to tell this story, that there was NEVER a lull in conversation from Friday night to Sunday morning.

We all arrived Friday evening.  I left around 4:00 and was supposed to arrive around 5:30.  I took the back roads, but missed my turn off at some point and ended up in the wrong location.  I had written down the directions and left the IPad at home so I didn't have a GPS in the car with me.  That was a big mistake for someone like me.  If I am not with Dan then I typically get lost.  I had to call my friend's husband to get me back on the right road.  Finally, around 6:30 I made it.  I only went an hour out of my way.  Three of my college buddies were already there so I was welcomed with warm, loving hugs.  I felt like we had never been apart for all of those years.  Later that evening the final two arrived and we were giddy and excited and talking very fast until about 3 in the morning.  We finally gave in and went to bed.  I volunteered to sleep on the hide a way bed which was hilarious.  When we pulled it out and I laid down, the middle of it sagged down real deep.  It felt like I was sleeping in a mattress with a hole in the middle.  I didn't need to roll over at night because I couldn't.  It was hilarious.

The morning came and I guess a few of my sweet friends are morning people.  They were awake nice and early chatting away in the living room.  Some of us lingered in bed for a bit and then got up for the day.  Since I am on a half marathon training schedule I had to get my runs done in the morning.  So after a few hours of sleep I left to run 6 miles.  Two other girls joined me for a part of the run and I enjoyed that part the most.  When I returned I made green smoothies for everyone.  I think they liked them!  We spent Saturday surviving from sleep deprivation.  When we were in college it wasn't such a big deal.  I guess we have to face the fact that we are a little bit older now.  And a little tired already from having young children.  But we pulled it together and had constant conversation, which helped us all stay alert.  We had a wonderful lunch and then had ice cream.  When we went back to the cabin around dinner time we decided to hike a trail.  What could have been a very pleasant hike turned into a muddy walk with mosquitoes swarming in our faces.  The trail went on and on and we had no idea where we would end up (maybe because we left the map back at the cabin).  So we decided to turn around and retrace our steps to go back home.  We made it back safe and settled in for an evening of games and more conversation.  The evening might have consisted of eating lots of snacks, talking, playing games, talking, push up contests, talking, funny stories about our abdominal muscles separating during pregnancy, talking, someone peeing her pants, talking, a bottle of wine splattering on the kitchen floor, talking and eventually going to bed for the night.  Sunday we left after lunch and were on our way back to our homes.  We already decided that this will be an annual event at the end of the summer.  I have not laughed this much in a very long time.  It was good for the soul.  Dreams do come true!

Friends reunited.....

College roommates reunited....




Setting out for our hike....


Random jumps in the middle of the road....


Hiking....

Talking on our phones while hiking....


Taking a break from hiking....






The snack table....


Late night push ups.....

And old photos I dug up from college...






Thanks Kim for having a dream!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment