Monday, February 11, 2013

Education

Have you ever wondered why families home school?  I have thought about that often over the years.  I have gone back and forth about whether it was right for us.  I have wrestled for quite some time about the kid's education.  I have wondered what would be the best thing for them and for me.  I have researched and prayed and researched and prayed about it.  And I finally came to the decision to try it out next year.  We love the christian school that Mya attends.  But it is a financial sacrifice on one income.  I feel like while our kids are very young that they would really benefit from me being able to teach them all sorts of things at home.....like faith, social skills, responsibility, manners, etc.  Being home with them is quite a gift and I just want to try this out and see how it goes.  I am filled with nervousness, excitement and wonder as I prepare for next year.  It is quite a decision to make and such a responsibility to take on.  But now that I have made the decision, I am enjoying reading about the history of home schooling, choosing curriculum and learning about the law and schooling at home.

While reading on different websites I was reminded today that the most important thing I can do with my children is to love and nurture the relationship I share with them.  So what specifically motivates me to want to try this?  I only see benefits with building a family bond, having flexibility with schedules, allowing my kids to work at their own pace, and exploring community classes to encourage creativity (which I lack). It is a year by year and kid by kid decision.  If it isn't working for our kids, then we will try something else. Dan and I don't look down on the decisions of other families and their child's educational placement.  Public school is right for some kids, christian school is right for some and homeschooling is right for some.  It really is a unique decision that each family gets to make.

So here I am entering into something new for our family.  I am excited about the challenge of it.  I know there is quite a bit of work to come as I gather curriculum and develop lesson plans for each child.  Juggling Chloe will be a challenge, but nap time will become very important to us. I know it will not be easy, but I am so willing to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment