Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shepherding My Heart

We continue to plug away at approaching parenting with biblical guidance. We are seeing some great changes in the kids. I see that their hearts are being changed and the good behavior follows. I used to force behavior change and not even consider trying to find out what their heart was communicating. We have had to change our thinking completely and it has been a challenge. The thing that I have learned the most is that I have to be growing spiritually or else I start to stray with implementing the parenting strategies. For example, if I don't know biblical truth about anger (proverbs 14:29) then I am much more likely to just react with anger. But when I know the truth and I am studying it, God gives me the tools I need to stay away from responding with any anger. So now I can gauge where I am spiritually based upon how I am responding to the kids. A good indicator that I have strayed is when I am intervening with a situation (ex. kids fighting) and I am not sure how to respond according to biblical truth. When I find myself at a loss for intervention strategies, I have to consider what biblical truth I need to learn so I have the right tools. I have to be right with the Lord in order to respond appropriately. I have to have the knowledge to be able to teach truth to their hearts. I need to know God like I am teaching them to know God. Another example is when the girls get hurt because a friend says they can't play with their toy. I want to intervene and tell the friend to share, but instead I can share truth with my girls and teach them to respond with kindness no matter what. In Romans 12:17-21 we learn that we are to never take revenge and be at peace with all men. Wow! Now I can take that truth and help the girls practically apply it to their situation. I can teach their hearts to respond in a Christlike manner. But.....the catch is that I need to know the truth in order to teach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment