Saturday, August 6, 2011

Anniversary

They say that the traditional gift for a 7 year wedding anniversary is copper, wool and a desk set. Interesting! I think I will accept our current journey to California as my gift. Dan has given me a wonderful present by taking quite a risk in life to take care of his family. I couldn't ask for a better gift or a more loving husband. Do you know that for every day of our 7 years together he has not missed telling me that he loves me...not one day! I never imagined that was possible, but I am here to tell you that it is.  And it is quite helpful, on the days that I am grumpy, to hear someone still tell me, "I love you."

I have been contemplating what to write for this blog and decided to do some highlights from our seven years together.  We have had some pretty funny moments.  Every marraige has ups and downs and ours has been the same.  But through it all, we keep coming out on top with our commitment and love for each other.  Now sit back, relax, and enjoy some interesting stories of the life of Dan and Julie.

On our wedding night, which is a night I will never ever forget...so much excitement and fun....Dan decided to surprise me by lighting candles in the hotel room.  Don't worry, I am not going to share actual details of the wedding night.  But I came around the corner of our suite to a very smiley Dan and candles burning all around the bed.  Rather than showing my appreciation for what he had done, I frantically ran around the room blowing all of the candles out as fast as I could.  Dan stood there very stunned.  I was terrified that we were going to set off the smoke alarm in the hotel so I wouldn't let him keep the candles lit. Luckily we shared a good laugh about it and enjoyed our beautiful, unforgetable evening together.

One of our favorite things that we share together is the love of candy and gum.  I knew it was a match made in heaven when I found out how much he liked these things when we were dating.  That was it...I was hooked.  Now that we are married, it is not a rarity to see us sitting on the couch together at night chewing a whole pack of bubble gum while watching a movie.  We chew, spit it out, get a new piece, chew again, spit it out, and repeat.  This is just a fun little thing that we share together that most people don't know about....but now you do.

Over the years I have enjoyed finding very creative ways to hide vegetables in my dishes when I cook for Dan.  I have been known to chop up veggies into really tiny pieces so he can't see them.  I have even been known to lie to him from time to time about what is NOT in a dish (when I actually DID put it in the dish).  I have experimented with pressuring him, guilting him, and even using the kids as an excues to eat his veggies.  Seven years later I have learned that it is best to treat him as a husband instead of a child.  The more I leave him alone, the more he tries.

Easton in Columbus, Ohio is one of our favorite places to go on our anniversary.  We were just talking about that today while driving in the car.  We will miss going there this year.  We like to stay overnight and shop there.  When we shop there all day we have a habit of buying clothes, going back to the hotel to try them on (we give each other a fashion show), wearing the new clothes back out in the shopping plaza, deciding if we like them or not, and then returning what we don't like.  I used to do this by myself until I met Dan. Silly behavior...I know...but so fun to do together.

There are always fun stories to tell about the births of our three daughters.  Mya's birth is something that I think everyone in the family will remember.  I beleive the whole hospital heard me screaming from her delivery.  But boy was she worth it!  With all three pregnancies I think I took about 8 pregnancy tests until I actually believed I was pregnant.  I just kept taking them and taking them until finally I believed it.  Dan would just smile at me...meanwhile thinking...what a goofy woman.  Little did he know that I probably took more than 8 tests because I would buy them, pee on the stick, smile at the pregnancy sign, and then hide the evidence.  Its like I got a high from peeing on that stick.

Did you know that we broke our bed during our first year of marriage?  And no, we didn't break it by doing anything funky.  We were just laying there one night....and BANG...it crashed to the floor.  We had quite a laugh out of that one.  We spent the next week sleeping on a mattress on our living room floor.  It was a little embarassing when we had to ask Dan's dad to come help us fix our bed.  How do you explain that one?

I will never forget the week that Dan was living with appendicitis and didn't know it.  Oh he just thought he had pulled a muscle.  Well, I guess if you are built of rock then appendicitis is really no big deal...just a small pain in your side.  I got a phone call on a Friday afternoon from Dan and he said, "Hey, I think I might drive myself to the ER.  I am in some pain."  I met him at the ER and he was pale white, leaning over a chair in the waiting room.  His appendix had ruptured at work and he still didn't know how serious his illness was.  I will always respect his pain tolerance.  Then a week later he took me to the ER because I thought I had appendicitis.  Turns out I had a hernia.  What are the odds of us having two surgeries the same month!

This blog is about being real, so I must share about our biggest fight.  We really don't fight very much at all.  We have passion and some heated discussions but they always end with snuggling and hugs and kisses.  I can only think of one fight that took me a while to get over.  We were in Myrtle Beach with Dan's family and I did not want to drive home through the night.  I wanted to drive during the day because Dan gets sleepy behind the wheel.  Well, he dug his heels in and was certain that we needed to drive through the night.  Neither of us would give in to the other.  I just cried a lot that day and he felt like I didn't trust him.  We both regret that day, but learned a lot through that experience too.  We have since learned how to fight healthier and discuss rather than get angry at each other.  I can honestly say that is the biggest fight we ever had in 7 years.

So what have we learned through all of these experiences and our 7 years together?  That marriage is made up of work, commitment, honor, respect, and love.  That marriage is beautiful and just gets better with time.  That marriage has its ups and downs and it is okay.  That God needs to come first for marriage to be a holy union.  That we are one and it is going to stay that way.  Thank you Dan for our life together!

1 comment: