Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Surgery

Yesterday I had my second leg surgery for varicose veins.  I did not take the muscle relaxer medication...I have a hard time taking the meds that make me feel loopy.  I don't like how they make me feel.  I don't get nervous about the surgery so I decided I didn't need the medication.  I am glad!  I had lovely conversation with the surgeon and his staff during the three hour surgery.  I got to see what a real vein looks like...after he pulled it out of my leg and I was awake enough to find out that he made 48 incisions on my leg when it was all said and done.  My veins were pretty stubborn and it took him a long time to get them all out.  Overall, it was a very positive experience.  Mya came with us.  She has had some anxiety with being away from us so she chose to come to the surgery with me and Dan.  I think she enjoyed being an only child for the day.  Smart girl!  Maybe once my leg is all healed and looking nice I will post a picture.  I wish I had a before/after picture.  My leg was pretty ugly looking.  I am very thankful to have a normal leg again.  It has been many, many years. 

I had the opportunity on Monday to talk with a homeschooling mom and get some perspective on how her first year went.  I asked if she was back and forth on whether or not to homeschool.  She said she spent the first two years wondering what was the best decision for her and her kids.  It was so encouraging to hear that I am not the only one.  And that she stuck with it and is thankful.  That doesn't mean that it will work out that way for us, but it was nice to have someone confirm things that I have been feeling.  I feel like that conversation gave me permission to continue to wrestle with my thoughts and feelings and let it be okay.  I don't have to make a decision any time soon.  I will just continue to pray about it, ask advice and trust in the Lord's direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment