Thursday, November 21, 2013

Storm Chaser

When we lived in California I remember Mya NOT wanting to return to Ohio because she knew we had tornadoes.  In fact, the kids in our apartment complex would "play" tornado with my girls because they were fascinated by it....because they had never seen one.  It is kind of like us playing earthquake.  We did convince Mya to come home because we had a basement and could protect her. 

So last Sunday she experienced her first tornado warning and it freaked her out.  In fact, the whole next day she bombarded me with questions about tornadoes....to the point that I couldn't take it anymore.  The poor thing just wanted answers and I was annoyed with her questions.  I have learned from home schooling (i.e. being with my kids the majority of the days) that when I get frustrated with the kids I am the one that needs to switch gears.  I am the one that needs to get creative with managing my emotions and reactions.  I have had a lot of opportunities to practice how to reduce stress in the house.  I drew on that experience and thought of a nice solution for all of us. I decided to take Mya to the library and find all the books about tornadoes.  Every week the kids do oral presentations at Classical Conversations and next week Mya has to do one about being thankful for something.  Guess what?  We were all really thankful that the tornado didn't touch down in our town. What a great way for Mya to become an expert on tornadoes and present on it to her class.  It worked out perfect! 

All week we have been learning about thunderstorms and tornadoes.  I know WAY too much about them now.  I know about updrafts, downdrafts, super cell thunderstorms, cumulus clouds, condensation and meteorologists. We have watched documentaries and read books and talked and talked and talked about them.  We know how to stay safe and we know all about storm chasers.  In fact, Mya has decided to become a storm chaser some day.  I don't think that is exactly the result I was going for.  But at least she isn't obsessed about the fear anymore.  She is pretty fascinated and so am I.


No comments:

Post a Comment