Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Challenged

I am still trying to work my way through the entire bible, but I am sad to say that I am only in Job. However, regardless of where I read for the day I learn so much. It doesn't matter what book I am in. But Job.....now this is a convicting book. Can you imagine having everything taken from you, including your family? Right away I think....how much do I put my security in the things of this world? If I lost Dan and the girls, would I come out of that experience praising God? unfortunately I don't think so. But I am challenged to reconsider my thinking after reading Job. What can I do to make sure my security is completely in Christ and not in other things. It is a matter of the heart. I believe that we have to accept that there is suffering in this world. That God allows it. Job's friends tried to convince him that his life must be full of sin and that was why he suffered. Little did they know that God and Satan had a conversation about testing Job because God knew he feared him. He was being purified. Sometimes we don't know why we suffer, and yet we still must be okay with that. My bible commentary mentions that it is better to know God then to know answers. So true! In Job 8, his friend talks about security. It is interesting when he speaks in verses 13-15: "Such is the destiny of all who forget God; so perishes the hope of the godless. What he trusts in is fragile; what he relies on is a spider's web. He leans on his web, but it gives way; he clings to it, but it does not hold." God can give lasting security. I struggle with insecurities, but I know that if I work on building my foundation with God (which this California experience is forcing me to do) then I can and will gain secure feelings with myself and my life. Slowly those feelings of insecurity will not undermine me.

No comments:

Post a Comment